About Me

Dublin / Galway, Ireland
As many of you know, I am spending 7 weeks of this summer in Ireland, studying abroad with USAC. This blog is for me to share my travels, feelings and experiences with everyone. Hope you enjoy :)

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Serious Case of Jetlag



As I'm typing up this blog I have been up for the last 30 hours... Between traveling and gallyvanting around Dublin today I'm pretty beat. However, I guess it's my fault I haven't got more sleep...I got zero sleep on the plane from JFK to Dublin for a couple reasons.... 1. We had personal TV's with my favorite shows on them (took up the first couple hours), then we were served dinner after that, and shortly there after a woman passed out in the aisle next to me (crazy!). Between all that, and the lightening I could see out my window (plus the screaming baby in the background) I was unable to find time to sleep, but I'm sure that my excitement was the biggest factor. Either way I made it safe and sound, and have only an orientation to go to left tonight, so I'm sure I'll make it through. The picture on the left is of a busy city street that has coffee shops, shopping, resturants, and pubs (of course!). It is called Grafton Street, and is in the central area of Dublin.

For today being my first day, we've already done so much! Customs was a breeze! They just asked how long I was staying and if I was studying and then stamped me a 3 month visa! Our taxi driver from the airport to the hotel was great, and our hotel is quaint and very authentic! Once we settled in, a large group of us went and grabbed some lunch together and tried getting to know each other a little bit. I must admit, it's almost like I'm moving in to the dorms all over again. Then the real fun began :)

As a group we then got a tour of some places in Dublin with the leaders of our Study Abroad Program. We saw Steven's Green (a park in central Dublin), took a tour through two 18th century mansions, walked the shopping strip, some busy streets, and got to see Trinity College. My favorite part by far was Trinity College. It is so beautiful, like out of the story books. No words can describe it, and I would never leave campus if I went to school in a place like that! While on the campus we were able to see the Book of Kells (a manuscript from 800AD written by Monks and their scribes) and the old library of the Trinity College which along with the setting was just as breathtaking! The picture to the left is of the 'Long Room' (a library) at Trinity College. It held many important Irish documents as well as books that were up to century's old. This picture includes a funny story: We weren't allowed to take pictures, but I really wanted one so I tried to be stealthy and take a photo from my bag. I didn't get noticed the first time but the picture was blurry so I attempted again and giggled in doing so. I was caught so the guard came up to me and asked if I took a picture. I replied with yes, and he told me because I was honest he would let me keep it but asked me not to take anymore. Haha.

Now as I sit in my motel room listening to European sirens zoom by on the streets below, I'm contemplating just going to bed or taking a nap so I can go out with everyone for a drink or two. Only time can tell... and until next time, thanks for reading :)

Ashley <3

5 comments:

  1. My bet is the pint won, the pillow lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey guys. if you wanna leave a comment but can't, i set up a google account so you can. just select "Google Account" under comment as portion below the comment. Follow the steps given using amparry@calpoly.edu as the username and ireland2010 as the password. However, it will give everyone using it the same username so be sure to sign your name at the bottom to avoid confusion of who is commenting. thanks! :)

    ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley I love the pictures and the sneaky picture is sooo cool. I'm glad you're getting those photos in. Have fun at a REAL Irish pub. You'll have to tip a pint for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ashley...its Terry Q. It sounds like an awesome experince. I love the blog! I will keep reading, its fun and you do make it interesting, its great to read, and follow you around Ireland. You're as close to Ireland as I'll ever be. :) Planes are not my thing. Lol I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always proof read before you post. :) Last comment should have read "experience" ... You mean what I know. lol
    Have fun, stay safe!
    Terry Q

    ReplyDelete