About Me

Dublin / Galway, Ireland
As many of you know, I am spending 7 weeks of this summer in Ireland, studying abroad with USAC. This blog is for me to share my travels, feelings and experiences with everyone. Hope you enjoy :)

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Dublin Drifter


Well as day 2 in Dublin comes to an end (but by no means does this mean the night has to) I'm starting to get acquainted with the town and the time change. We had a pretty busy and touristy day. I feel like such a tourist while I'm exploring the town, equipped with a camera around my neck, a over sized bag, and walking everywhere with large groups of people. I'm ready to experience the locals and what life in Ireland is all about, which is to come soon (and I'm extremely anxious for it!). Now for the tales of today!

We started off by walking through the Christ Church which is right near our hotel. The church was built 1030 and is still a church that holds mass. It was pretty incredible and awfully beautiful. It had a crypt down below the church that was filled with a museum and gift shop. The picture to the left is a picture of the Church.

After that we went on a walking tour of Dublin focusing on the 1916 Uprising, which was an attempt to break away from the British Control. Our leader was a funny fellow, constantly making jokes about American's and other pop culture. I learned a great deal on this tour and I feel like it will help me out in the History class I'm taking, which will be nice!

Then we got to tour the Dublin Castle which no longer is used for much except tours and for Inauguration the President of Ireland. Most of the original castle was destroyed when part of the castle caught fire, and that area was close to where the gun powder was stored, and the explosion destroyed most of the castle so it had to be rebuilt. The picture to the right is of about half of our group int he courtyard of the castle. It feels like everyone is starting to get more comfortable and know each other better which is making the experience more fun!



Well, as the day draws to an end I will be heading to the pubs with some of the group and relaxing after along day! Talk to ya soon... Until next time.

<3 Ashley

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ashley, It is great to hear about your adventures. I haven't seen or talked to you in forever, but between Aunt Vee and Aubs I keep up on the happenings of you and your family. It sounds like you are having so much fun. I especially liked the post about the picture and the nice guard lol. Glad that you are having a great time and I look forward to hearing about everything that you do.

    <3 Ness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, we'll try this again.

    I love that you're having a great time, Europe is amazing. I am excited to see your Ireland pictures for they are amazing, and yes, you look like an idiot trying to take pictures, I know first hand. However, nothing will be as bad as the Asian family dad was asked to take a picture of in front of "Mt. Shasta" when they were really standing next to Black Butte. Awful. Hope the Jetlag is over, traveling that far is always a pain in the butt at first! The first couple days as well are also like a culture shock, even though it's not THAT far off. Being in a strange place is perfect though because it does seem like farther away from home you are, the more you become most yourself, and no I didn't come up with that but that's pretty much the only way to define those kind of amazing experiences! I hope you have just as good of a time in Ireland as I have had traveling about, and I hope to make it to Ireland one day as well! Have a great time, dive into the experiences, and most of all stay safe!!!

    Love AP

    ReplyDelete