About Me

Dublin / Galway, Ireland
As many of you know, I am spending 7 weeks of this summer in Ireland, studying abroad with USAC. This blog is for me to share my travels, feelings and experiences with everyone. Hope you enjoy :)

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

On The Road Again

Today we began our excursion toward Galway. We packed our bags and headed out of Dublin across Ireland. It was a little rough for some people because they had too much fun the night before, but not me of course ;). We headed out on a tour bus at around 11:00 with hopes of getting to Galway around 4:30 or so.


The trip is only a 2 and a half hour trip if you go straight through but we made a detour and stopped in Strokestown. Strokestown had a mansion, gardens and a famine museum. A picture of the gardens is shown to the right. The stop was interesting, but mainly what we learned about was how the rich people who lived in the mansion suffered during the famine, but what I was really curious about was how it affected the common public. I mean one million Irishmen and Women were killed during the famine and another 2 million migrated from Ireland, so it would have been nice to know a little more about that.

After we left there we headed straight for Galway. The scenery was breathtaking, and unfortunately I didn't get any good snapshots of it but I hope to be traveling back through there so I will get some pictures then!

When we arrived in Galway it was pouring rain! It was the first time it's rained since we've been on the trip so no one was really prepared. We were assigned to rooms and got about an hour or so to settle in. We then took a tour around the National University of Ireland, Galway (my school!) campus and walked around town a bit. We ate at a fabulous Italian place (I know, I know)and then I went back to the room, unpacked and settled in for the night. It was a fairly uneventful day... but the days to come surely will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment