About Me

Dublin / Galway, Ireland
As many of you know, I am spending 7 weeks of this summer in Ireland, studying abroad with USAC. This blog is for me to share my travels, feelings and experiences with everyone. Hope you enjoy :)

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Winding Down...

Well my time with USAC is coming to an end and it's bitter sweet. We have one week left and most of that will be consumed with writing papers and finals. I'm really going to miss all of the great people I have met here, and I really hope we stay in contact. However, on a happy note, I'm so excited for Mom and Kyla to come over so I can experience Ireland in a completely different perspective!


The past week has been pretty low key and mellow. On Sunday we hung around downtown and watched a parade for the arts festival. The group I was with got there early enough to have front row seats for the parade. It was very cool and different from American Parades. The floats were all man powered, and the parade told a story and was more of a performance than American Parades. There is a picture of it to the right. The parade followed a boy through his dreams which were both nightmares and good dreams. The parade somewhat reminded me of circ de soleil.


On Monday we had a field trip for our History class. We went to the Burren again but we got to see some different things. We started the day at another monastery and we actually got to go inside one of the old buildings and toured around the grounds a bit. A picture of the grounds is shown to the left. After the monastery we headed back to the tomb that I showed you guys in my last blog and looked at it for a bit.


After that we went to the best part of the day! We went to a holy healing well and a cave where a saint lived for 7 years! It was so amazing and beautiful. I have a picture of the well to the right, and below it to the left is a picture me tying a string on the wishing tree. The point of this is you dip the string in water and rub it on your body somewhere then tie it to the tree. Once you do this, the well is supposed to help heal disease or wounds on your body. The cave was just up the mountain from the wishing tree and it was pretty tiny. I don't think I could have stayed there for 7 years, but I guess that's the difference between me and a Saint. Haha.


The rest of the week was spent around Galway, going to class doing homework and wondering around downtown! I can't believe we only have this last week left with the group and then I only have one more week left. This time has flown by, and as much as I miss home, I'm really, really going to miss this place! Thanks for reading and I will be posting soon!

<3 Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment